Hey everyone! Sorry I haven't posted many things these past few weeks. First it was simply busyness, and recently with the earthquake and all, it's simply been due to weariness and really being unsure what to write. Its been kind of a heavy time, but God is really good. David and I have had many meaningful and significant conversations with people this past week about God's comfort in the midst of suffering, and those very truths have been what has brought me strength and hope as well.
This afternoon a friend sat in my living room and shared how his parent's and grandparent's and relative's homes had all been destroyed, tears running down his face as he spoke. Thankfully, his family had all survived the earthquake unharmed, but he worried that since his family doesn't live in one of the 4 counties nearest the epicenter of the quake, he is not sure much aid will arrive to his hometown. He said currently his family members do not even have tents to sleep in at night, but sleep in the open. It was heartbreaking to hear about, but this friend's family's situation is ten times better than so many who lost relatives in the earthquake! So we do our best to mourn with the brothers and sisters who are mourning around us.
On the other hand, it has been so encouraging to hear about how people nearer the quake zone are really pulling together to do everything they can to help! Some good friends of ours, Josh and Danielle (read more on their blog here) traveled to the area of the quake, and they said they were amazed not only by the destruction they saw, but by the thousands of people driving their personal cars full of food and supplies up into the mountains to help the victims of the quake. As outsiders to the culture I live in, it is often a temptation to judge my surrounding culture and feel superior, and I admit I have done this in the past, saying to myself, "At least Americans are compassionate, unlike these people . . ." But I am moved and humbled by all I have heard over the past week. And inspired to do as much as I can with the limited resources and time I have.
So, yeah, a roller coaster of emotions. But God is so good in the midst, and I know that he not only has plans to use David and I in this situation, but also to grow our faith and reliance on him. So I am thankful.
In any case, I will try to do better on updating my blog. Oh, and you should congratulate me on my first serious post! And let me know what you think of the new background and layout and all. God bless!
Seasonal Produce Guide for February
7 years ago
2 comments:
thanks for the update! love the new blog walpaper
I really love the new background!! so nice that i even commented outloud as soon as it was opening. :)
--charity
Post a Comment