Sunday, October 5, 2008

Bathroom Repairs

So, this week was a holiday to celebrate this country's National Day. David and I had Thursday and Friday off, and my pregnant self was looking forward to some serious laziness. However, it was simply not to be. Instead, we spent those two days superintending some serious bathroom repairs.

About a week or so ago, I noticed a puddle of water accumulating outside our bathroom door. I asked David, "Did you spill a cup of water and not mop it up?" I know, I wasn't exactly giving him a lot of credit. He of course said no, and so I examined the puddle more closely. It turned out our WALL was leaking. Not any bathroom fixture per se, but the wall itself! Each day, it would get worse and worse, and the puddle spread to a whole other wall!! I would mop them up, and they would reappear the next day. So, I knew our two days off would be spent dealing with the problem.

The phone call to our landlady was interesting. I asked her to come over, explaining that we had a "fairly serious bathroom problem." She asked if it was the toilet or the sink. I said no, it was the wall!! Well, it peaked her curiosity enough, and she came the next day.

Repairs ensued, and after much banging with a sledge-hammer, the solid concrete wall was chipped away enough to reveal the pipes (hoses, in actuality) behind the sink in our bathroom. Sure enough, one had sprung a leak and several others had problems. The leak had saturated the solid concrete walls with water, and thus eventually the wall itself began to drip with water! Here are some photos:



You can see the pool of water here. This wall is actually in our living room!
Here you can see where the wall began to mold. Eww.
The exposed "pipes" and the mound of concrete that had to be chipped away in order to access them!!
After the repairs. Notice the water bottle that for some reason became an essential part of the repair!!

No comments: