Thursday, December 25, 2008

Why I am mad at The Gap

So here I am coming up on month number 8 of my pregnancy, and this is where your maternity clothes really get tested. Those tops that looked so cute in month 6--do they still cover the belly? Those pants that were so comfy a few weeks ago, are they riding lower and lower these days? I realize some of this is just the reality of getting crazy, freakin huge kinda big, but I have also discovered some serious deficiencies in some of the quality of the maternity clothes I invested in. In particular, I have noticed an alarming trend of shrinkage amongst the knit tops I have purchased. At the beginning, some have discounted my observations as simply being due to the fact I was getting bigger, not that the tops were getting smaller. But, now I have photographic proof of the most flagrant offender--the Gap!!

You can see in the above photo two knit long-sleeve maternity shirts from the Gap. Both were purchased while I was home in the States this summer--they are identical in style and both a size medium. I wore the black one for the first time over Thanksgiving, and washed it ONE TIME in cold water, then dried it in the dryer on med/low heat. This week when I tried to wear it again, my belly totally hung out the bottom! I still had not worn the white top, so I brought it out for a comparison! These photos are what I found! From ONE washing the black top had shrunk nearly 4 inches in length, as well as the length of the sleeves, the width of the top, etc.! I had purchased these 2 tops from the Gap specifically because I put (misplaced) trust in the quality of their clothing and thought these would not only last through this pregnancy but through future pregnancies as well! All my maternity clothes are beginning to look a little ratty, but even the tops I bought for $6 at Ross Dress for Less have held up better than these from the Gap!!! Believe me, there is nothing more frustrating in the world than noticing that as you are getting bigger, your "maternity" clothes are simultaneously getting smaller!!

No comments: