Friday, November 20, 2009

Winter is Here!

Winter arrived this week. Suddenly. And Dramatically. Very winter-like, I guess! Monday the high temperatures were suddenly in the 40's, and today it is wet and in the 30's. Yuck, you might be saying. Well, that is probably how I will feel in a couple of weeks, but for now I am really enjoying the change of seasons! This is now my sixth winter in Asia, sixth winter living in a home that does not have central heat, and so over the years I have developed fun little traditions of ways to keep warm that I actually look forward to each year!

This year, a new fun thing was getting Sarah all bundled up in her coat and hat and gloves for the first time! All of these winter items are currently slightly too big for her, but that just adds to the cuteness factor in my book!
Sarah wasn't really sure what to make of her new apparel--I think equal parts curiosity and annoyance at the way these things limit her mobility. When we came home from our first winter outing the other day, David set her down on the carpet in the living room as he usually does and began to take off his own shoes and coat and all that while Sarah was still wearing her winter get-up. She tried to crawl across the floor wearing all this, and the result was hilarious. As soon as she made it to the hardwood floors, she would try to move forward and instantly her mittened hands would slide out from underneath her and SPLAT she would go flat on the floor! Crawl attempt--SPLAT--crawl attempt--SPLAT--crawl attempt--SPLAT. Please forgive our horrible parenting for letting this go on for a minute or two! She was so well-padded there was no chance of injury, and it was hysterical. Sarah is so good natured, she wasn't even upset by it! She just approached it as a challenge and kept getting back up on all-fours just to slip and slide around once again!
She's our precious little winter angel!

1 comment:

Becky at VintageMixer said...

reminds me of our first ski outfits!