We celebrated the actual 4th of July a week ago with my parents in Texas, where it was pouring rain and the Lubbock fireworks display was cancelled, so we watched the New York and Boston fireworks on TV. That was a little disappointing, since we only get to be in the U.S. every other summer for the 4th. But it turns out, God had another plan. For whatever reason, the towns up here in Connecticut each have their own 4th of July celebrations on various nights around, but not necessarily on, the actual 4th! My in-laws hometown had their celebration Friday night, but I was too sick to go. However, another town just north of here had their fireworks display and concert last night, so David and I decided we'd give it a try to take Sarah out past her bedtime so we could allenjoy the celebration!

Sarah had an absolute blast! I really think she probably had the most fun of her entire short life last night. Here she is playing with her uncle Shawn, David's youngest brother, and his girlfriend Angela.

We all sat out on this huge lawn with several thousand other people, and enjoyed some great food from local restaurants as well as an orchestra concert of the traditional patriotic tunes.

Sarah loved the music during the concert. She danced and danced, bouncing up and down and even waving her arms back and forth like an orchestra conductor (a funny coincidence--we weren't close enough to actually see the conductor so we're pretty sure she wasn't imitating anything she'd seen before).

The temperature was pretty comfortable, but it was humid--so that's why we all look shiny and sweaty in these pictures.

Some of our neighbors on the lawn entertained Sarah with their bubble guns.

Sarah LOVED the bubbles. LOVED.


She loved them so much, that another neighbor on the lawn actually came up and handed us a small bottle of bubbles for us to play with. This lady was a little strange, but giving us the bubbles was really nice. Then, however, she wanted to give Sarah some cotton candy. The first time she asked if she could give Sarah some cotton candy, the lady was standing several feet away and I just pretended not to hear her. Then, she came up directly in front of me and asked, so I accepted the cotton candy. I am probably paranoid, but I just didn't feel comfortable feeding my child something handed to me by a total stranger, and a strange stranger at that. So I stood between her and Sarah (who David was holding) and pretended to give Sarah the cotton candy, but really ate it myself. I also gave some to David to eat. Later, I was saying that I was just being cautious on the highly improbable chance she'd put drugs or poison or something in the cotton candy. David, of course, asked, "If you thought the cotton candy was poisoned, why did you give some to me to eat? You thought it would be better if both Sarah's parents got poisoned, not just one?" He had a point. :)

Well, there were no drugs or poison in the cotton candy, thankfully, and we all went on to enjoy the fireworks display. I love this photo of David and Sarah watching the fireworks together.

All in all, it was a very fun, very American, 4th of July celebration on July 11! I am so glad we got to experience it together with our family here in Connecticut!
1 comment:
YAY! I'm so glad ya'll got to see fireworks afterall.
And that cotton candy story- totally laughed out loud. I'm way overly paranoid, too. But at least you're polite enough that you're willing to poison yourself and your husband with the illusion of eating it! =)
Post a Comment