
Sarah is so different these days than she was a little over a month ago when we left Asia. Probably the biggest change is Sarah's vocabulary has just exploded! This happened to our friends the Huffmans' daughter Emma Grace when she went back to the U.S. at about the same age--17 months-ish--so I don't know if its just the age she's at or hearing English all the time or what, but Sarah has become quite the little talker!

Her speaking began in earnest the week before we left Asia when she spoke her first "word" besides "mama" "daddy" and "hi": "guk." Now I realize "guk" is not a real word, but she would point to her cup and say it, over and over, so we figured out that "guk" was Sarah's first word, sort of. Since we've been back in the U.S. she's added: cracker, juice, eyes, teeth, ears, hair, nose, toes, shoes, clothes, towel, chair, cars, bunny, diaper ("bupper" actually), and probably a few other nouns I can't think of right now.

In addition, just in the last week or so, Sarah has started saying "no." This was not my favorite word for her to learn, but I guess its necessary for development. So far, she hasn't used it to refuse anything too serious, but again, this is not my favorite development!

She also says "All done!" when she is eating, but I think she bases her evaluation more on boredom than hunger, because she will often say "all done!" and get down from her high chair, only to ask for more food. So I think "all done" is more about wanting to get down and run around than actually being done with her meal. So we will need to work on this a little.

These are pictures of Sarah dancing on the sofa with her hairbrush in her mouth. Isn't she hilarious??

Just today, Sarah added another word to her vocabulary: "again." Actually, she just says "gain," but her meaning is clear--do whatever entertaining thing you were just doing again!! Boy, is she learning how to have her opinion heard!

Its been really fun seeing Sarah learning so many new things and having her grandparents around to see it with us! We just left Texas to come to Connecticut 3 days ago, so it was sad to have to say goodbye to my family, but we have had a wonderful reunion with David's folks and brother. More pics coming soon!
2 comments:
been thinking about you and wondering where you guys were! Glad you are having fun with David's family. Love the pictures of Sarah!
Hey Marianne!
I just wanted to tell you how much I like reading your blog. I think sometimes when you write these things (blogs, that is) it might seem like few people are reading them....
Your girl is super-cute and I love knowing what's going on with you even though it's been a while since we've caught up! :)
Hope you're having an amazing summer in the USA!
Love Laine
Post a Comment