Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Mouth of My Babe

I am probably beginning to sound like a broken record, but having a two year old is seriously a blast and seriously exhausting--seriously hilarious and seriously, seriously draining. But today, I am going to talk about the hilarious/blast part. :)
Sarah's imagination is growing with leaps and bounds, and whether she is running around the house under a towel pretending to be who knows what or just trying to learn and interpret the world around her, those surrounding her are bound to see and hear some hilarious things!
A couple of jewels from this week: Sarah has started calling bugs, "buggers" instead of "bucks." But the awesome thing about this is, this week I opened a package of almonds for us to snack on, and Sarah immediately began begging for some "buggers." She ate some and said, "Mmmm, yummy buggers!" I tried to explain that these were nuts and not bugs, but she was having none of it. I am now taking bets on how long it takes before she samples a live bugger, only to discover that kind is not as yummy as the kind mommy eats.
This morning we were looking at one of Sarah's books which features some cowboys. I decided to let her wear my house-cleaning bandana around her neck so she could be a cowgirl too! We got her stuffed cow ("Horsey the Cow"--she still can't discern the difference between a horse and a cow), and she rode it for a little while. Until she realized what she really wanted was another bandana around her neck, so she went and grabbed a banana from the kitchen and shoved it inside her bandana. Problem solved!
While Sarah is learning a ton these days, she also definitely has a stubborn side. We were looking at pictures of butterflies the other day, and she said, "Oh! Pretty hair bows!" She insisted that those were hair bows and would not be dissuaded, despite the fact that she will have basically nothing to do with hair bows herself.
Sarah's spiritual side is also growing in some funny ways! Most of what she knows she has learned from songs, and "Jesus Loves Me" is one of her favorites. Sometimes she refers to it simply as Jesus, and occasionally she will request that we sing it to her wherever we happen to be. So this can lead to us being out in public, and all the sudden Sarah is yelling, "Jesus! Jesus! JESUS!!" at the top of her lungs, trying to get us to sing it to her. Awesome.

Obviously, spiritual concepts are still rather vague to her, but I also loved this exchange the other day. Sarah went to the refrigerator and opened the door, and said, "I want some chocolate!" I told her we didn't have any chocolate, and would she like some yogurt. "I want some cake!" she said, and again I had to offer her yogurt as a substitute. Finally she said, "I want some Jesus!" I told her that Jesus wasn't to be found in the refrigerator, and finally she accepted some yogurt, but only after having requested Jesus about six more times at the top of her lungs. :)

1 comment:

Dianne said...

When she is screaming "Jesus!" repeatedly, will some one in listening range who doesn't know her, think she is swearing?!