Monday, April 11, 2011

Re-Post: Big Things First

Note: I originally posted this a week or so ago, but David asked me to take it down since he was still in negotiations with Washington University in St Louis about his scholarship and didn't want them to somehow accidentally find this and realized we were pretty much going there no matter what. He heard the final word on his scholarship a few days ago (not as much as we'd hoped, but still very, very generous), so I can re-post this now!

The last couple of months haven't been more busy than usual, in terms of actual events or commitments going on, so I don't really have that excuse for why my blogging has tapered off. And actually I have a bunch of photos I want to post from David's birthday, some fun times with friends, silly stuff Sarah has been doing. What's been holding up my blogging is that there is this big, big, BIG change coming in our lives, and I have just gotten overwhelmed thinking about blogging about it.

This probably isn't even news to many of you, as we have been talking about making this change for two years (just not on the blog) and we made the official announcement in our update letter last month, but the big news is this:

Our family is moving back to the U.S. in less than three months for David to start law school in the fall.

Like I said, BIG CHANGE!!! So, my life hasn't been too too busy lately, but its about to get insane. But our hearts and minds have been busy. We literally just made our official decision as to where David will be going to school next year less than a week ago--Washington University in St. Louis!! He has recieved a very, very generous scholarship there, which we hope will allow him to get his law degree with very little or even no traditional student loan debt! This is just one of many, many ways we see the Lord providing for us as we make this transition--his hand is very clearly in it, and we are so thankful for the confirmation that this is indeed the right next step in our lives.

A quick aside--its a rainy cold day outside, so Sarah is staying inside and watching the movie "Cars" as I write this. We just watched the scene at the beginning where the big semi truck (please forgive me for forgetting his name) and Lightning McQueen drive from Charlotte across the country toward California to the song "Life is a Highway," and I had to stop writing this in order to burst into tears for a few minutes. We have so many, many emotions right now--we are thrilled, bursting with excitement to start this new chapter and learn a new place (neither of us have even ever been to St. Louis!) and be closer to family and friends in the U.S.; and we are sad and grieving and mourning the end of this chapter of our lives which we have loved and which its not possible to over-state the significance in our lives. So, yeah, I have periods of numbness and periods where I burst into tears at kids movies for no reason because I love America so much and I am really, really excited to live there again but at the same time I love, love Asia with a love so deep I never could have imagined it, and I can't believe I am really going to have to say goodbye to this place so soon.

Sigh. I am glad to be finally writing this and sharing with you all. :)

As for the history of this big decision and our hopes for the future, I wrote it out in much more detail in our last update letter--and if you didn't get it, just drop me an email at mariannebdean@yahoo.com, and I will send it to you by email. But here is the quick version:

When we moved back here to Asia in 2006, we were committing to living here for 3-5 years. We knew that at the end of that time, it would more or less be a decision to commit to David's spending his whole "career" here--you know, the 20-30 year thing, living here till we retire or longer, etc., or returning back to the U.S. to do something else. When we first came back, we weren't open really to the long, long-term thing, but by 2008, HE began working in our hearts and we started to be open to that. I am so thankful, because just a few months later we began to sense HIM actually leading us to take steps forward in the law school direction, by David taking the LSAT, etc., and in the fall of 2009, we decided law school would be the next step and we would move home to do it in 2011.

We are so thankful, because we are not leaving because of burn-out or other major problems, and the work we have been doing here is in a good place to transition over to others leading it. We feel certain that this is the step our Father intends for us, and our hope is that this degree, in the long term, will enable David and our family to continue to serve and minister and pursue the same goals we have built our lives around these 7 years in Asia. In fact, we hope that eventually we may even be once again living overseas with David using his profession as an attorney to spread the Good News in both word and through the tangible advancement of HIS justice in the world. So, we are full of hope--for the next few years in St. Louis, for the future HE has for us beyond that . . . but leaving behind our community of both foreign and local brothers and sisters here will be only softened by the knowledge that we will be reunited when we all return to our TRUE HOME in heaven.

Please, feel free to contact me with any questions you have about this, or any encouragement or advice! So thankful for all of you, on BOTH sides of the world, and your prayers, love, support and friendship as we experience the closing of one chapter and the beginning of another!

2 comments:

JJ said...

So excited for you all. I remember you mentiong this possiblility when we were getting our pedicures that day! I know it will be hard but transitions are a great opportunity for intimacy with the Lord. I look forward to following you back to the US. Love ya'll!

SarahRachel said...

WOW!! This is exciting news!! We'll be much closer...but
I guess that's true for MOST of your American friends! ;-)