One of the things I have loved most about the seven years I have spent here in Asia has been the element of adventure that is a part of this life. On the one hand, there is the sense that life here is less predictable (which can be both fun and not so fun), but even more so I feel like the adventure comes from the constant possibility for discovery. If you know me, you know what a geek I am--I love learning and analyzing things and trying to figure stuff out. Living in a different culture and learning a new language--its just been really fun for me. OK, so not always fun in all circumstances, but generally speaking I have really, really enjoyed learning about this place where we've lived. I've enjoyed meeting fascinating people with amazing stories, discovering great food or a new restaurant. I like the funny, crazy things that seemingly happen every day here. I've enjoyed traveling around--the lonely-planet-ness of this life. In truth, the last few years, especially since Sarah arrived, have been much more settled and much less lonely-planet-esque, but still. It's hard to put into words exactly--all I can say is I really, really like the life I have here.
But, I have to remember, that true adventure doesn't come from living someplace exotic, but from following Christ. He is the one who is constantly asking us to risk it all, lay it all on the line, and trust him. No playing it safe in this life. And the adventure he is calling David and I to requires that we once again leave behind what is familiar and comfortable (Asia--ironically!) to go to someplace totally new and unfamiliar (St. Louis). And there will be myriads of new discoveries, and a ton to learn (or re-learn) about life there. So I am just laying down one kind of adventure for another one--the better one, because its the one He created for me, not the one I've chosen for myself. Praise him!
Seasonal Produce Guide for February
7 years ago
1 comment:
Hey Marianne! I hadn't checked your blog in awhile but saw on FB (maybe) That yall are moving back. I have lots of friends who have served over seas. I hear about the struggles as well as the blessings from living in both places. I'm glad I had some minutes to spare to read the last several blog posts. I will seriously be praying for yall. I can't imagine but am so encouraged by your heart to trust the Lord for this plan for yalls lives!
PS- saw a camero like yours the other day, told my hubby that I rode to school in one of those everyday & he laughed at us! RUDE! ;)
Post a Comment