
The recipe called for the cake to be baked in an 8 or 9 inch "tube pan" (angel food cake pan?), which I don't have. So, I read through all the comments, and one baker said she had made it in a bundt pan and it had turned out great. So, I have a 9 inch bundt pan, and I baked it in that. I mean, how different in size could a 9 inch tube pan and a 9 inch bundt pan be??? As I was pouring the batter in, I thought to myself--this does seem like a lot of batter. Turns out I was right. Anyway, I improvised and made a cobbler for my guests that evening since the cake was totally unusable. Grrr.
Thankfully, I am getting better at cooking. Recently, I have become more adventurous at stir-frying. I have observed here that the key to delicious Asian stir fries is to get the oil really hot, but not let it burn, and then throw everything in and flip and stir it really fast over really high heat. This is kind of scary as the oil is popping everywhere and there is lots of smoke and it is very noisy. But if you cook it on a lower temperature, your food just comes out soggy and just not as good. See, this is an example of how you can GROW and learn as a cook!! Baking, for me at least, is a totally different story.
3 comments:
Keep trying, Marianne! David just has beginners luck, so to speak!
Try that cake again and use less batter by adding the rest to another pan. I know my Mum couldn't bake bread the first few times but look at her now! And my chocolate chip cookies: either too dry that you needed tea to help get them down (too dry) or 24 spread into ONE big one (batter too wet!); now Danny, Rebecca and Shawn V. love them!!
Ha ha. Yeah, I totally can relate to you! I'm very hit and miss with EVERYTHING in the kitchen. And Alan's stuff usually turns out great every time too. What is that!?!
I blame the strange Chinese oven ;)
Post a Comment