Sunday, February 1, 2009

Last Date Night Without Kids?

Every Sunday night, the place David and I are staying here in Chiang Mai, does not offer supper in order to give its staff sort of a Sabbath rest (normally, 3 meals a day are provided here--sort of like at summer camp). So, David and I planned to go into the city today and have a date night, realizing it is possible this will be our last one as a couple without kids to rush home to and rescue the babysitter from!! Our plan was to leave mid-afternoon and go to this really cool market I had heard about (lots of authentic Thai goods, also a random selection of cheap baby stuff, supposed to be a really cool place to shop). I needed to purchase a couple of things--a mosquito net for the baby, and a few other things, but mostly I thought it would just be a cool outing. Afterwards David and I were going to go to a nice dinner together, though we hadn't yet decided what restaurant we would go to. So, we called a cab driver we have used several times (a very interesting Christian Thai man with quite a big personality--he always greets you with "God bless you!!" and blasts praise and worship music in his cab, which is covered in Christian stickers!!). He called his wife while on the way to take us to the market to shop, but she informed him that the market was closed today because it is a holiday (wives are so in the know). So he suggested we go to Tesco Lotus instead. Tesco Lotus is basically a Thai version of Super Wal-mart, but it certainly had everything we needed to get on our list, so we agreed. After an hour of grocery shopping, David and I were quite tired and hungry. So, we nixed the going someplace fancy for dinner idea and instead ate at a pizza restaurant right there in the Tesco Lotus building. This building also had a Swensen's ice cream shop, so we both got delicious sundaes after dinner! We did all this with our full shopping cart sitting right next to our table, at dinner and at the ice cream place!! We got back here to our room with all our groceries at about 6:30 p.m.!! It was then when we realized how less-than-romantic, but incredibly convenient and practical our "date night" turned out to be! Maybe this proves we are ready to be parents after all, hehehe! :)

3 comments:

Dianne said...

I think that is called being practical BUT doing things together which is important for the family, even it is just you two right now!

laura said...

Just don't forget to have a last half day with the Lord! Oh, you will love it! and, you will love it even more three months from now :)

Bethany.... said...

You are ready - with His help you are ready! Cannot wait to see your new addition! Lovin' Facebook. I remember getting a telegram when Rebekah Dean was born in the Philippines. It was funny because on our time she hadn't even been born yet! Technology has come a long way, baby....!!!! (I think I made a funny!). Love you all - Aunt Bethany